Saturday, November 19, 2011

Happy Saturday to you!

Good morning, good morning to you,
Thank you Lord for another beautiful autumn day! Well, would you believe that I am just getting up and out of bed. I wasn't just laying there awake, I was sleeping until about 11:15 this morning. I have just had a wonderful, restful, refreshing sleep. It really was Sweet! Sleeping has never been a problem for me, even as a youngster. I have always been able to sleep. I remember that my grandmother would have to call me two or three times before I would actually get up to start getting ready for school. I am usually sleep before my head hits the pillow! That's a blessing! I have friends who have trouble sleeping, who have taken sleep aids, to no avail. I feel for people who have this problem. If you happen to be one of those people who have trouble sleeping, remember that the ability to rest, is a gift from God. He says that He gives His beloved, SLEEP, and it shall be sweet! It's a gift. Receive the gift. Thank God for the gift, then go to sleep.

I woke up finally, and discovered that my husband wasn't there next to me. He had already gotten up earlier. He had the television off, the ringer on the phone was off, he had the bedroom door closed, everything that would insure that I would enjoy my rest, and not be disturbed. I love him so! He is so considerate. I did lay there for a few minutes, thinking about how it was so nice of him to do all of the little things, so that I would not be disturbed. I started to think about our 32 years of marriage. Yeah, that's what I lay there thinking about this morning, our marriage. Next month will be 33 wonderful years! Thank you Lord.
(I am back, had to stop blogging for a while to discuss something with my husband, he wants to go to Olive Garden for a late lunch).
Anyway, I was saying, I was reflecting over these last 32 years, and we have experienced many things in our marriage, the deaths of many loved ones, friends, both us of have experienced the deaths of both of our parents, we have gone through sickness, personally, as well as with family and some friends, we have experienced some financial issues, things that really could tear up a marriage. But, despite all of the challenges, we overcame them, and won! In 1992, my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. That was quite an experience. Wow, for 6 months I had to change a colostemy bag. I never thought that I would ever have to do this in life, but I did. I loved him. I vowed to take care of him. But through the entire experience, we became closer, loved each other more, and appreciated each other more. He could depend on me, and he did. A bond formed that would become stronger than it had ever been before. Don't get me wrong, we had a good marriage before this happened, but sometimes we are challenged in a marriage, and it takes more than just love to overcome them. I know that this sounds strange, it takes more than love sometimes. It really does. I have seen men blacken their wife's eyes, terrorized them, cheat on them, and then tell them that they love that wife. I just never quite understood that. (Maybe someone can explain that to me). I knew someone whose husband was diagnosed with a disease that would require him to be cared for, for a while. She said that she really loved her husband, but when he was diagnosed, she took him back home to his mother, and left that marriage. Love was not enough to keep her there. I am about to share something that I have never shared publically. Eight months ago, I had a stroke. Even today, many of my friends don't know this. I was in the hospital for an entire month, was in Physical Therapy for 6 weeks, after I was discharged from the hospital. I watched my husband be there for me, every step of the way!. even after working sometimes 10 hour days. We went to work on his job each day, but he was there for me at every turn. He just took up exactly where I left off. He washed and dried clothes, and made sure that I always had clean clothes for physical therapy while I was in the hospital. Everything that I could possibly desire while I was in that hospital, he had it right there for me. I didn't have to lay there and wonder if everything was alright at home. He really stepped up to the plate. These many months since, have been a challenge in some ways. I had to learn how to do everything all over again! Walk, talk, write, dress myself, everything! He has been there for me. These are things that can challenge a marriage. Having to help me do everything, and I do mean everything! That can be difficult for anyone in a marriage. Once again, with God, our love for Him, and our love for one another, we came through it together, and won! I thank God for him. I am truly blessed. It takes love, and it takes loving God more! You can love a spouse, mistreat them, and still say that you love them. But when you love them, and love God even more, you are going to want to please God, and pleasing Him prevents you from being harsh, hitting them, cheating on them, mistreating them. Really loving God, will make you get out of a warm bed, pillow finally like you like it, to go and get your spouse a glass of water when he asks! How many times have I done that, and he for me. It's the little things that mean so much. He is actually sitting now, and waiting to go the the Olive Garden. I guess that I better get ready.
(Sometimes there are typos, it's because the fingers are still in "recovery" mood. LOL)

Wow, I didn't think that I would be blogging about marriage, but sometimes it's good to share experiences!
Enjoy your day. Lunch, shopping, being with the one you love, beautiful weather-Priceless!

~Gayle

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! so glad you shared your testimony, you are a walking, talking, breathing miracle! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, I really am a Miracle! My doctor even said those exact words!These last eight months have been interesting! I have watched God totally restore my body. We are so blessed, that we often take things for granted! Writing, holding coins in our hand, twiddling our thumbs, holding dominoes, driving! These are things that I had to learn to do again! But God is so faithful! I am able to do more each day.

    ReplyDelete